Jump to Main Content
- Keatinge, R., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Irish journal of agricultural and food research 2003 v.42 no.1 pp. 79-87
- Charolais; Holstein; Simmental; bulls; calves; carcass weight; cows; finishing; food research; heifers; herds; hills; progeny; sires; slaughter; weaning
- ... The performance during finishing of the progeny of autumn-calving Simmental (S) and Piemontese (P) × Holstein-Friesian suckler cows sired by either Limousin (L) or Charolais (C) bulls was evaluated over 3 years. The calves from a hill suckler herd commenced finishing immediately after weaning at approximately 8 months of age. Mean weaning weights were 344 and 314 kg (bulls) and 313 and 290 kg (hei ...
- Keatinge, R., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Irish journal of agricultural and food research 2003 v.42 no.1 pp. 71-77
- Holstein; Simmental; calves; calving; calving interval; cows; finishing; food research; gestation period; heifers; herds; highlands; hills; liveweight gain; meat quality; milking; prices; rearing; reproductive performance; sires; weaning
- ... Simmental × Holstein-Friesian (S) and Piemontese × Holstein-Friesian (P) suckler cows representing, respectively, a large cow type with good milking ability and a medium-sized cow type with a reputation for good meat quality, were compared in an autumn-calving production system. Reproductive performance and calf rearing ability were assessed over four successive seasons from breeding as heifers to ...