Jump to Main Content
- Koo, H., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Journal of applied microbiology 2010 v.108 no.6 pp. 2103-2113
- Streptococcus mutans; bacteria; biofilm; biomass; exopolysaccharides; fluorescence; glucose; hydroxyapatite; image analysis; starch; sucrose
- ... To investigate the structural organization and dynamics of exopolysaccharides (EPS) matrix and microcolonies formation by Streptococcus mutans during the biofilm development process. Biofilms of Strep. mutans were formed on saliva-coated hydroxyapatite (sHA) discs in the presence of glucose or sucrose (alone or mixed with starch). At specific time points, biofilms were subjected to confocal fluore ...
- Koo, H., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Applied and environmental microbiology 2011 v.77 no.18 pp. 6357-6367
- Candida albicans; Streptococcus mutans; biofilm; childhood; dextranase; fluorescence; glucans; glucose; glucosyltransferases; hydroxyapatite; image analysis; mixing; spectroscopy; toddlers; tooth enamel; yeasts
- ... Candida albicans and mutans streptococci are frequently detected in dental plaque biofilms from toddlers afflicted with early childhood caries. Glucosyltransferases (Gtfs) secreted by Streptococcus mutans bind to saliva-coated apatite (sHA) and to bacterial surfaces, synthesizing exopolymers in situ, which promote cell clustering and adherence to tooth enamel. We investigated the potential role Gt ...
- PubMed Central: