Jump to Main Content
- Currylow Andrea F.; Johnson April J.; Williams Rod N.
- Journal of Herpetology 2014 v.48 no.1 pp. 117-121
- Ambystoma; Anura; Ranavirus; Terrapene carolina; cross contamination; disease reservoirs; herpetofauna; larvae; pathogens; risk; salamanders and newts; turtles; viruses; Indiana
- ... Ranaviruses are emerging as serious pathogens across ectothermic taxa, recently causing mass die-offs including entire chelonian populations. Amphibians may serve as reservoirs for chelonian infections. To assess this idea and determine whether chelonians in the Midwest are infected with (or at risk for) ranavirus infections, we tested for presence of ranavirus infections among sympatric larval am ...
- P. Moraga; J.M. Kinsella; M.S. Sepúlveda
- Journal of helminthology 2012 v.86 no.1 pp. 38-40
- Digenea (Trematoda); Falcaustra; Terrapene carolina; bladder; ectoparasites; fauna; gastrointestinal system; gonads; heart; helminths; kidneys; liver; parasitism; parasitoses; road kills; turtles; Indiana
- ... Very little is known about parasitic diseases of eastern box turtles (Terrapene carolina carolina). The objective of this study was to examine the parasitic fauna of eastern box turtles collected from southern Indiana, USA. Turtles (n = 40) were salvaged mostly as road kills from southern Indiana between May and October 2009. Seven species of helminths in total were found parasitizing the gastroin ...