Jump to Main Content
- Gotthard, Karl, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- The journal of animal ecology 2017 v.86 no.4 pp. 718-729
- butterflies; climate change; climatic factors; cold treatment; ectothermy; latitude; models; phenology; prediction; pupae; pupal development; spring; temperature; winter; Sweden; United Kingdom
- ... Understanding and predicting phenology has become more important with ongoing climate change and has brought about great research efforts in the recent decades. The majority of studies examining spring phenology of insects have focussed on the effects of spring temperatures alone. Here we use citizen‐collected observation data to show that winter cold duration, in addition to spring temperature, c ...
- Gotthard, Karl, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Biological journal of the Linnean Society 2016 v.119 no.4 pp. 1060-1067
- butterflies; females; genetic variation; geographical variation; host plants; host preferences; larvae; oviposition; phenology; Sweden; United Kingdom
- ... An insect species that shows variation in host species association across its geographical range may do so either because of local adaptation in host plant preference of the insect or through environmentally or genetically induced differences in the plants, causing variation in host plant suitability between regions. In the present study, we experimentally investigate the host plant preference of ...