Jump to Main Content
- Schoper, J. B., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Crop science 2001 v.41 no.5 pp. 1551-1557
- Zea mays; corn; dehiscence; gene flow; leaves; longevity; planting; pollen; pollen flow; pollen viability; pollinators; seed set; solar radiation; water potential; wind speed
- ... Pollen is an important vector of gene flow in maize (Zea mays L.). Experiments were conducted to investigate the duration of pollen viability and the effectiveness of isolation distance for controlling gene flow. Pollen longevity was tested by collecting pollen at dehiscence and exposing it in a thin layer in the open air and sunshine for prescribed time periods before assessing pollen viability b ...
- Schoper, J. B., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Crop science 1987 v.27 no.1 pp. 27-31
- Zea mays; diallel analysis; temperature; heat stress; heat tolerance; pollen; inbred lines; pollen germination; general combining ability; specific combining ability
- ... High temperatures during maize (Zea mays L.) pollination limit kernel number. Knowledge is limited on the effect of heat stress on both pollen viability and tassel shedding characteristics or of possible heat tolerance sources and testers. The purpose of this research was to determine the tassel response to heat stress, as measured by in vitro pollen viability and shedding characteristics, and the ...