Jump to Main Content
- Panas, Panayiotis, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Bioresource technology 2009 v.100 no.20 pp. 4854-4862
- molasses; alcoholic fermentation; batch fermentation; ethanol production; grapes; Saccharomyces cerevisiae; thermophilic fungi; yeasts; immobilized cells; internal transcribed spacers; ribosomal DNA; sequence analysis; mitochondrial DNA; volatile organic compounds; Greece
- ... Molasses fermentation performance by both a cryotolerant and a thermophilic yeast (strain AXAZ-1) isolated from grapes in Greece was evaluated in an extremely wide temperature range (3-40°C). Sequence analysis of the 5.8S internal transcribed spacer and the D1/D2 ribosomal DNA (rDNA) regions assigned isolate to Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Restriction fragment length polymorphism of the mitochondrial ...
- Panas, Panayiotis, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Energy conversion and management 2017 v.135 pp. 256-260
- alcoholic fermentation; aluminum oxide; biodiesel; biorefining; cheese whey; esterification; ethanol; kefir; lactic acid; lactose; upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor; whey
- ... Cheese whey exploitation in a biorefinery manner is proposed involving anaerobic acidogenesis by a UASB mixed anaerobic culture and alcoholic fermentation by kefir. Both cultures were immobilized on γ-alumina. The produced organic acids (OAs) and ethanol could be esterified to obtain a novel ester-based biofuel similar to biodiesel. During acidogenesis, lactic acid-type fermentation occurred leadi ...