Jump to Main Content
- Hill, Walter R.; Knight, Allen W.
- Ecology 1987 v.68 no.6 pp. 1955-1965
- Synedra ulna, etc ; Achnanthes; Cymatopleura; Ephemeroptera; Epithemia; Gomphonema; Navicula; Nitzschia; Rhoicosphenia; Surirella; algae; analysis of variance; biomass; chlorophyll; grazing intensity; locomotion; periphyton; polymethylmethacrylate; principal component analysis; sediments; streams; California; Show all 22 Subjects
- ... The interaction between the grazing mayfly Ameletus validus and periphyton in a small, northern California stream was examined by manipulating the density of the mayfly in flow—through plexiglass channels. Containing natural cobble substrate and located in situ, the channels established an initial gradient of A. validus at 0, 0.5, 1, and 4 times the average density of the mayfly in Barnwell Creek. ...
- McIntire, C. David
- Ecology 1968 v.49 no.3 pp. 520-537
- Synedra ulna, etc ; Achnanthes; Anabaena variabilis; Cocconeis; Gomphonema; Melosira; Meridion; Navicula; Nitzschia; Phormidium; Rhoicosphenia; Tribonema; algae; benthic organisms; biomass; flora; light intensity; lighting; species diversity; streams; Show all 20 Subjects
- ... Effects of light intensity and current velocity on the species composition and ecological properties of communities of benthic algae were investigated in laboratory streams. Of the 15 diatom taxa studied, only Melosira varians, Meridion circulare, and Navicula radiosa were more abundant in streams receiving 700 ft—c of illumination than in those receiving 150 ft—c. Achnanthes exigua, A. minutissim ...