Jump to Main Content
- Tesfaye, M.; Temple, S.J.; Allan, D.L.; Vance, C.P.; Samac, D.A.
- Plant physiology 2001 v.127 no.4 pp. 1836-1844
- Medicago sativa; malate dehydrogenase; gene expression; transgenic plants; organic acids and salts; biosynthesis; aluminum; soil pH; nutrient solutions; chelation; phytotoxicity; phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase; complementary DNA; enzyme activity; root tips; root exudates; promoter regions
- ... Al toxicity is a severe impediment to production of many crops in acid soil. Toxicity can be reduced through lime application to raise soil pH, however this amendment does not remedy subsoil acidity, and liming may not always be practical or cost-effective. Addition of organic acids to plant nutrient solutions alleviates phytotoxic Al effects, presumably by chelating Al and rendering it less toxic ...
- PubMed Central:
- Nikolai P. Bityutskii; Kirill L. Yakkonen; Anastasiya I. Petrova; Alexey L. Shavarda
- Journal of plant physiology 2017 v.218 pp. 100-108
- Cucumis sativus; acid soils; aluminum; biosynthesis; chelation; cucumbers; cultivars; fumaric acid; genotype; hydroponics; iron; metabolomics; nutrient solutions; pH; plant growth; roots; sap; serine; shoots; silicon; succinic acid; xylem
- ... Aluminium (Al) is one of the major stressors for plants in acidic soils, negatively affecting plant growth and nutrient balances. Significant efforts have been undertaken to understand mechanisms of Al tolerance in plants. However, little is known of the relevance of iron (Fe) and silicon (Si) nutrition under Al stress conditions. The objectives of this study were to determine whether effects indu ...
- Zunkang Zhao; Xiaofeng Gao; Ye Ke; Minmin Chang; Lu Xie; Xiaofeng Li; Minghua Gu; Jiping Liu; Xinlian Tang
- Plant and soil 2019 v.437 no.1-2 pp. 273-289
- aluminum; benzoxazinoids; biosynthesis; chelation; corn; cultivars; exudation; hydroxamic acids; root growth; root tips; salicylic acid
- ... BACKGROUND AND AIMS: Although aluminum (Al) exclusion via root exudation of organic matters is a common resistance mechanism adopted by many plant species, whether root exudation of benzoxazinoids, such as hydroxamic acids (HAs), confers Al resistance remains unclear. METHODS: We performed physiological characterization for an Al-resistant maize cultivar TY and a sensitive maize cultivar ZD. RESUL ...