Jump to Main Content
- Curtis, P.D., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Crop protection 2019 v.123 pp. 1-4
- Prunus avium; apples; birds; fruit crops; fruits; growers; orchards; pests; surveys; wine grapes
- ... Birds are common pests in fruit orchards. They frequently consume and damage fruit resulting in decreased yields for growers. The true extent of damage is difficult to measure. Producer surveys are often implemented to estimate damage, but the accuracy of these estimates is uncertain. We compared damage estimates obtained through field studies with estimates from a producer survey for three fruit ...
- Curtis, P.D., et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Crop protection 2013 v.52 pp. 103-109
- Prunus avium; growers; apples; profitability; blueberries; wine grapes; surveys; market prices; profits and margins; fruit crops; fruit growing; Prunus cerasus; markets; birds; cherries; Michigan; Oregon; New York; California
- ... Fruit loss to birds is a long-standing and costly problem for many producers. We conducted a survey of Honeycrisp apple, blueberry, cherry, and wine grape growers in California, Michigan, New York, Oregon, and Washington to estimate costs of bird damage and benefits of bird damage management. We also assessed grower perceptions of impacts on profits and effectiveness of bird management techniques. ...