Jump to Main Content
- Siepmann, J. Ilja, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Langmuir 2017 v.33 no.34 pp. 8420-8427
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; acetone; adsorption; aqueous solutions; butanol; distillation; energy efficiency; ethanol; fermentation; fluorides; hydrophilicity; hydrophobicity; pH; vapors; zeolites
- ... A promising route for sustainable 1-butanol (butanol) production is ABE (acetone, butanol, ethanol) fermentation. However, recovery of the products is challenging because of the low concentrations obtained in the aqueous solution, thus hampering large-scale production of biobutanol. Membrane and adsorbent-based technologies using hydrophobic zeolites are interesting alternatives to traditional sep ...
- Siepmann, J. Ilja, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Langmuir 2016 v.32 no.8 pp. 2093-2101
- Monte Carlo method; acetone; adsorption; aqueous solutions; biofuels; broths; carbohydrates; cell culture; economic feasibility; energy efficiency; ethanol; fermentation; toxicity; zeolites
- ... Anaerobic fermentation can transform carbohydrates to yield a multicomponent mixture comprising mainly of acetone, 1-butanol, and ethanol (ABE) in a typical weight ratio of 3:6:1. Compared to ethanol, 1-butanol, the main product of ABE fermentation, offers significant advantages as a biofuel or a fuel additive. However, the toxicity of 1-butanol for cell cultures requires broth concentrations to b ...