Jump to Main Content
- Tomoki Mori; Rina Sugiura; Makoto Kato; Kensuke Miura; Haruna Ogawa; Syota Umano; Haruki Kato; Shigeyuki Izumiyama; Yasuaki Niizuma
- Journal of forest research 2020 v.25 no.6 pp. 450-455
- Cryptomeria japonica; Fagaceae; Japan; Ursus thibetanus; bark; cambium; conifers; diet; forests; research; sap flow; surveys; villages
- ... Bark stripping damages of conifer trees by Asiatic black bears (Ursus thibetanus) are confirmed in most areas inhibited by them in Japan. In this study, we conducted a field survey in Shirakawa Village, Gifu Prefecture, Japan, from 2008 to 2016 to investigate the seasonal and annual variation of bark-stripping of Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria japonica) by Asiatic black bears in relation to mast prod ...
- Shoko Kobashikawa; Shinsuke Koike
- Forest ecology and management 2016 v.380 pp. 100-106
- Chamaecyparis obtusa; Cryptomeria japonica; Ursus thibetanus; bark; conifers; forest management; foresters; forests; growth rings; managers; models; plantations; temporal variation; tree damage; tree trunk; trees; Japan
- ... Bark stripping by Asiatic black bears (Ursus thibetanus) has a serious impact on conifer plantations in Japan, resulting in physical damage to the tree trunks and reduction of the value of the timber. The aim of this study was to clarify whether these plantations are more prone to damage by bears at particular times and sites, to more effectively prevent this damaging behavior. The study was condu ...