Jump to Main Content
- van der Kamp, Marc W., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Biochemistry 2018 v.57 no.26 pp. 3560-3563
- Gibbs free energy; antibiotic resistance; bacteria; beta-lactam antibiotics; beta-lactamase; drugs; quantum mechanics
- ... Clavulanate is used as an effective drug in combination with β-lactam antibiotics to treat infections of some antibiotic resistant bacteria. Here, we perform combined quantum mechanics/molecular mechanics simulations of several covalent complexes of clavulanate with class A β-lactamases KPC-2 and TEM-1. Simulations of the deacylation reactions identify the decarboxylated trans-enamine complex as b ...
- van der Kamp, Marc W., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of the American Chemical Society 2012 v.134 no.44 pp. 18275-18285
- Gram-negative bacteria; Serratia; active sites; beta-lactamase; crystal structure; crystallography; drugs; hydrolysis; meropenem; molecular dynamics; mutants
- ... Carbapenems are the most potent β-lactam antibiotics and key drugs for treating infections by Gram-negative bacteria. In such organisms, β-lactam resistance arises principally from β-lactamase production. Although carbapenems escape the activity of most β-lactamases, due in the class A enzymes to slow deacylation of the covalent acylenzyme intermediate, carbapenem-hydrolyzing class A β-lactamases ...