Jump to Main Content
- Katechaki, Eleftheria, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Bioresource technology 2009 v.100 no.15 pp. 3734-3739
- starter cultures; Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus; Kluyveromyces marxianus; food processing wastes; cheese ripening; raw materials; whey; heat treatment; biomass; dairy industry
- ... Whey is the major by-product of the dairy industry, produced in large quantities and usually disposed off causing major environmental pollution, due to its high organic load that makes treatment cost prohibitive. This paper comprises a contribution on the valorisation of this high polluting liquid waste of the dairy industry, based on research for the production of novel dairy starter cultures usi ...
- Katechaki, Eleftheria, et al. Show all 16 Authors
- Applied biochemistry and biotechnology 2010 v.160 no.6 pp. 1734-1743
- European Union; accelerated ripening; biomass; bioreactors; cheesemaking; cheeses; coliform bacteria; ethanol; fermentation; freeze drying; glycerol; kefir; lactic acid; lipolysis; manufacturing; production costs; starter cultures; value added; whey
- ... This paper concerns the effect of thermal-drying methodology on the investment cost for dried kefir cells production in order to be used as starter culture in cheese manufacturing. Kefir cells were produced at pilot plant scale using a 250-L bioreactor and whey as the main substrate. Kefir cells were subsequently dried in a thermal dryer at 38 °C and used as a starter culture in industrial-scale p ...