Jump to Main Content
- Kurt Reinhart; Lance Vermeire
- PloS one 2016 v.11 no.7 pp. 1-14
- aggregate stability; biomass production; botanical composition; community structure; ecosystems; graminoids; mixed-grass prairies; perennials; phytomass; rangelands; topography
- ... a local gradient in plant community composition which was likely driven by niche partitioning along a subtle gradient in elevation. Our results indicate an apparent trade-off between plant biomass production and soil aggregate stability, both known to affect soil (or site) stability. Empirical evidence of this trade-off and the fact that dominant plant species may affect plant biomass-soil stability ...
- PubMed Central:
- Dodson, Erich K.; Peterson, David W.; Harrod, Richy J.
- International journal of wildland fire 2010 v.19 no.4 pp. 490-499
- soil stabilization, etc ; invasive species; fertilizer application; afforestation; botanical composition; erosion control; planting; forest fires; water erosion; vegetation; understory; Show all 11 Subjects
- ... Slope stabilisation treatments like mulching and seeding are used to increase soil cover and reduce runoff and erosion following severe wildfires, but may also retard native vegetation recovery. We evaluated the effects of seeding and fertilisation on the cover and richness of native and exotic plants and on individual plant species following the 2004 Pot Peak wildfire in Washington State, USA. We ...