Jump to Main Content
- Cámara Ruiz, Maria; Espírito Santo, Carlos; Mai, Alfons; Gessner, Jӧrn; Wuertz, Sven
- Journal of applied ichthyology 2019 v.35 no.4 pp. 835-842
- Acipenser oxyrinchus, etc ; Sander lucioperca; brain; captive animals; carp; cognition; cortisol; fish culture; foraging; gene expression; glucose; hatcheries; juveniles; lactic acid; mortality; odors; predation; predators; rearing; smell; sturgeon; tanks; Show all 22 Subjects
- ... Atlantic sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrinchus), also known as Baltic sturgeon, is considered extinct in German waters. Fish‐rearing for conservation purposes largely relies on classical hatchery technology focusing on traits like survival and growth in captivity but rarely focusing on subsequent life in the wild, lacking skills such as foraging or anti‐predation behavior. Predation is hence a major fact ...
- Cámara-Ruiz, Maria; Santo, Carlos Espirito; Gessner, Joern; Wuertz, Sven
- Aquaculture 2019 v.502 pp. 12-17
- Acipenser oxyrinchus, etc ; Chironomidae; brain; foraging; gene expression; gene expression regulation; hatcheries; juveniles; rearing; sand; sturgeon; tanks; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... Atlantic sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrinchus), also known as Baltic sturgeon, is considered missing or extinct in German waters. Current conservation efforts focus on re-stocking activities, but classical hatchery rearing may reduce the fitness of the respective juveniles. In this study, we evaluated if foraging efficiency can be improved by short term training. Over a period of 14 d, we kept individua ...