Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: svein?
- Agnarsson, Sveinn, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Ecological economics 2019 v.159 pp. 279-290
- boats; business enterprises; fisheries; leasing; markets; prices; social networks; trade; Iceland
- ... The quota market is the instrument through which fishing operations under an individual transferable quota (ITQ) system achieve greater efficiency. It allows fishing companies to optimally configure their quota portfolios to their catches. Globally, fisheries corresponding to ~25% of landings have adopted ITQ systems. However, there is surprisingly little empirical information on quota markets fun ...
- Agnarsson, Sveinn, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Ocean & coastal management 2018 v.163 pp. 141-150
- business enterprises; debt; economic crises; fisheries; fisheries management; fishing boats; harvesting; income; leasing; marine resources; profitability; profits and margins; taxes; variance; Iceland
- ... In 1990, Iceland established a comprehensive fisheries management system based on individual transferable quotas (ITQs). Simultaneously, low-cost licence fees, which the fishing industry paid to the government, were introduced. As the ITQ system became more mature and the financial performance of the fisheries improved, there was increasing public demand for the sharing of its resource rent. A spe ...