Jump to Main Content
- Nilsson, Robert T., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Bioresource technology 2015 v.176 pp. 71-79
- Betula; Clostridium acetobutylicum; acidification; activated carbon; batch fermentation; biofuels; biological production; butanol; carbon dioxide; feedstocks; hardwood; hydrolysates; hydrolysis; hydroxymethylfurfural; kraft pulping; phenolic compounds; solubilization; solvents; waste liquors; xylan; xylose
- ... Acetone–butanol–ethanol (ABE) fermentation was studied using acid-hydrolyzed xylan recovered from hardwood Kraft black liquor by CO2 acidification as the only carbon source. Detoxification of hydrolyzate using activated carbon was conducted to evaluate the impact of inhibitor removal and fermentation. Xylose hydrolysis yields as high as 18.4% were demonstrated at the highest severity hydrolysis co ...
- Nilsson, Robert, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Bioresource technology 2014 v.161 pp. 263-269
- butanol; carbon; carbon dioxide; carbon dioxide fixation; fermentation; hydrogen; prices; raw materials; succinic acid
- ... This paper presents a novel process for n-butanol production which combines a fermentation consuming carbon dioxide (succinic acid fermentation) with subsequent catalytic reduction steps to add hydrogen to form butanol. Process simulations in Aspen Plus have been the basis for the techno-economic analyses performed. The overall economy for the novel process cannot be justified, as production of su ...