Jump to Main Content
- Nino, Juan C., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Journal of materials chemistry A 2016 v.4 no.14 pp. 5167-5175
- cations; ceramics; crystals; energy; magnetism; mechanical properties; models; neodymium; oxygen; refining; tomography
- ... Despite typically comprising a small volume fraction, grain boundaries often limit many properties of ceramics for energy technologies. The localized charges present at grain boundaries affect local structure and composition which thus impact the ionic conductivities along with thermal, electrical, optical, magnetic, and mechanical properties. While theory regarding grain boundary effects has prog ...
- Nino, Juan C., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of the American Chemical Society 2012 v.134 no.18 pp. 7679-7689
- anions; cations; cobalt; copper; hydrogen bonding; nickel; physical properties; probability; zinc
- ... A methodology for the design of polar, inorganic structures is demonstrated here with the packing of lambda (Λ)-shaped basic building units (BBUs). Noncentrosymmetric (NCS) solids with interesting physical properties can be created with BBUs that lack an inversion center and are likely to pack into a polar configuration; previous methods to construct these solids have used NCS octahedra as BBUs. U ...