Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: louis?
- Karlberg, Louise, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- The Science of the total environment 2016 v.542 pp. 22-35
- Eragrostis tef; Soil and Water Assessment Tool model; basins; case studies; cash crops; decision support systems; drought; dry season; economic feasibility; ecosystem services; environmental impact; food prices; food production; food security; income; irrigation; irrigation water; lakes; landscapes; onions; ponds; sediment yield; sediments; sustainable agricultural intensification; water harvesting; water quality; watersheds; Ethiopia
- ... Water harvesting systems have improved productivity in various regions in sub-Saharan Africa. Similarly, they can help retain water in landscapes, build resilience against droughts and dry spells, and thereby contribute to sustainable agricultural intensification. However, there is no strong empirical evidence that shows the effects of intensification of water harvesting on upstream–downstream soc ...
- Karlberg, Louise, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2013 v.181 pp. 69-79
- drought; ecosystems; environmental impact; foods; harvesting; risk; risk reduction; rural areas; sustainable agricultural intensification; tropics; water harvesting
- ... Poverty alleviation in rural areas is a top priority for social and economic development, particularly against a backdrop of rising populations up to 2050 and to meet growing food demands in a rapidly urbanizing world. Sustainable intensification of agricultural techniques are therefore required, such as water management practices that result in higher agricultural production without causing sever ...
- Karlberg, Louise, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Water resources research 2009 v.45 no.7 pp. W00A12 (13 p
- irrigation; agricultural land; water management; drought; climate change; food production; population growth; water resources; sustainable agriculture; hydrologic models
- ... While past strategies for agricultural water management have focused on irrigation (use of blue water), this paper demonstrates the dominance of green water in food production. A global, yet spatially disaggregated, green-blue analysis of water availability and requirement, using the LPJmL dynamic vegetation and water balance model, indicates that many countries currently assessed as severely wate ...