Jump to Main Content
- O’Sullivan, N. P., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Poultry science 2012 v.91 no.6 pp. 1292-1298
- animal models; body weight; calcium; egg albumen; egg production; egg weight; egg yolk; eggs; genetic correlation; genetic traits; heritability; laying hens; selection criteria; sexual maturity; shelling
- ... Genetic parameters were estimated for egg defects, egg production, and egg quality traits. Eggs from 11,738 purebred brown-egg laying hens were classified as salable or as having one of the following defects: bloody, broken, calcium deposit, dirty, double yolk, misshapen, pee-wee, shell-less, and soft shelled. Egg quality included albumen height, egg weight, yolk weight, and puncture score. Body w ...
- O'Sullivan, N P, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Poultry science 2011 v.90 no.1 pp. 278
- animal welfare; bone fractures; bone strength; cages; cannibalism; disease control; egg production; feather pecking; feet; group size; hens; nutrition; osteoporosis; parasite load; parasites; pest control; poultry housing; production technology; soil
- ... Egg production systems have become subject to heightened levels of scrutiny. Multiple factors such as disease, skeletal and foot health, pest and parasite load, behavior, stress, affective states, nutrition, and genetics influence the level of welfare hens experience. Although the need to evaluate the influence of these factors on welfare is recognized, research is still in the early stages. We co ...