Jump to Main Content
- Panas, Panayiotis, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Energy conversion and management 2017 v.135 pp. 256-260
- alcoholic fermentation; aluminum oxide; biodiesel; biorefining; cheese whey; esterification; ethanol; kefir; lactic acid; lactose; upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor; whey
- ... Cheese whey exploitation in a biorefinery manner is proposed involving anaerobic acidogenesis by a UASB mixed anaerobic culture and alcoholic fermentation by kefir. Both cultures were immobilized on γ-alumina. The produced organic acids (OAs) and ethanol could be esterified to obtain a novel ester-based biofuel similar to biodiesel. During acidogenesis, lactic acid-type fermentation occurred leadi ...
- Panas, Panayiotis, et al. Show all 16 Authors
- Applied biochemistry and biotechnology 2010 v.160 no.6 pp. 1734-1743
- European Union; accelerated ripening; biomass; bioreactors; cheesemaking; cheeses; coliform bacteria; ethanol; fermentation; freeze drying; glycerol; kefir; lactic acid; lipolysis; manufacturing; production costs; starter cultures; value added; whey
- ... This paper concerns the effect of thermal-drying methodology on the investment cost for dried kefir cells production in order to be used as starter culture in cheese manufacturing. Kefir cells were produced at pilot plant scale using a 250-L bioreactor and whey as the main substrate. Kefir cells were subsequently dried in a thermal dryer at 38 °C and used as a starter culture in industrial-scale p ...