Jump to Main Content
- Kim, Chul-Hwan, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Preparative biochemistry & biotechnology 2016 v.46 no.3 pp. 229-237
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; absorbance; alkali treatment; atomic force microscopy; biomass; ethanol; ethanol fermentation; ethanol production; glucose; hydrolysis; lignin; rice straw; saccharification; scanning electron microscopy; sodium hydroxide
- ... The efficacy of different concentrations of NaOH (0.25%, 0.50%, 0.75%, and 1.00%) for the pretreatment of rice straw in solid and powder state in enzymatic saccharification and fermentation for the production of bioethanol was evaluated. A greater amount of biomass was recovered through solid-state pretreatment (3.74 g) from 5 g of rice straw. The highest increase in the volume of rice straw powde ...
- Kim, Chul‐Hwan, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Journal of the science of food and agriculture 2013 v.93 no.13 pp. 3198-3204
- temperature; foods; anaerobic conditions; hemicellulose; sampling; sugars; torrefaction; renewable resources; cellulose; ethanol production; rice straw; benzoic acid; waste management; ethanol; ethanol fermentation; saccharification
- ... BACKGROUND: Rice straw is an attractive lignocellulosic material for ethanol production, since it is one of the most abundant renewable resources. It generally has high cellulose and hemicellulose contents that can be readily hydrolysed into sugars for subsequent ethanol fermentation. The pretreatment method plays an important role in increasing the efficiency of enzymatic saccharification, thereb ...
- Kim, Chul-Hwan, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Food and bioproducts processing 2013 v.91 no.1 pp. 60-65
- benzoic acid; bioethanol; ethanol; ethanol fermentation; ethanol production; glucose; saccharification
- ... Waste money bills that are no longer legal tender are non-recyclable and are usually destroyed. In this study, we used this cellulose-rich material for bioethanol fermentation for the first time. Glucose production was enhanced by using diluted H2SO4 during pretreatment. Different incubation periods were tested for saccharification and subsequent bioethanol fermentation. The highest yield of gluco ...