Jump to Main Content
- Amaral, Stephen V.; Coleman, Benjamin S.; Rackovan, Jenna L.; Withers, Kelly; Mater, Benjamin
- Marine & freshwater research 2018 v.69 no.12 pp. 1870-1881
- dams (hydrology); fish; fish communities; fluid mechanics; habitats; migratory behavior; probability; spillways; survival rate; water power; Mississippi River; United States
- ... Hydropower dams can negatively affect upstream and downstream migratory fish populations in many ways, such as blocking access to upstream habitats and causing injuries or mortality during downstream passage. For downstream passage at projects in the USA, federal regulators and agencies responsible for oversight of hydropower facilities typically require assessment studies and mitigation to addres ...
- Koch, Brian; Brooks, Ronald C.; Oliver, Amanda; Herzog, David; Garvey, James E.; Hrabik, Robert; Colombo, Robert; Phelps, Quinton; Spier, Timothy
- Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 2012 v.141 no.1 pp. 112-120
- Scaphirhynchus albus; adults; endangered species; fish; foraging; gravel; habitat preferences; habitats; islands; migratory behavior; reproduction; rivers; sand; spring; ultrasonics; watersheds; Mississippi River; Missouri River; United States
- ... The pallid sturgeon Scaphirhynchus albus is a U.S. federally endangered species that occurs in the 320-km middle Mississippi River (MMR). Historic in-channel island habitat has vanished, and the extent of the population's range within the MMR is unknown. We surgically implanted ultrasonic transmitters in 88 adult pallid sturgeon (>600 mm fork length; mean = 791 mm) during 2002–2005 and used boat-m ...