Jump to Main Content
- Hsu, Chuan-Yu, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- The plant cell 2006 v.18 no.8 pp. 1846-1861
- Arabidopsis thaliana; Populus deltoides; asexual reproduction; buds; flowering; genes; growing season; inflorescences; loci; meristems; perennials; shoots; spring; trees
- ... Many woody perennials, such as poplar (Populus deltoides), are not able to form flower buds during the first several years of their life cycle. They must undergo a transition from the juvenile phase to the reproductive phase to be competent to produce flower buds. After this transition, trees begin to form flower buds in the spring of each growing season. The genetic factors that control flower in ...
- PubMed Central:
- Hsu, Chuan-Yu, et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Journal of experimental botany 2010 v.61 no.10 pp. 2549-2560
- Arabidopsis; Populus; breeding; flowering; flowers; forest trees; genes; genetic background; heat treatment; loci; rootstocks; scions; temperature; transgenic plants
- ... Expression of FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT) and its homologues has been shown to accelerate the onset of flowering in a number of plant species, including poplar (Populus spp.). The application of FT should be of particular use in forest trees, as it could greatly accelerate and enable new kinds of breeding and research. Recent evidence showing the extent to which FT is effective in promoting flowering i ...