Jump to Main Content
- Moreira, David, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Environmental microbiology reports 2019 v.11 no.3 pp. 464-473
- Cercozoa; Ciliophora; DNA barcoding; databases; ecosystems; eukaryotic cells; fungi; invertebrates; limestone; methane; methanogens; methanotrophs; oxygen; parasitism; phylogeny; plankton; predation; protists; ribosomal RNA; saprotrophs; sulfur; Black Sea; Romania
- ... Movile Cave is a small system of partially inundated galleries in limestone settings close to the Black Sea in Southeast Romania. Isolated from the surface for 6 million years, its sulfidic, methane and ammonia‐rich waters harbour unique chemosynthetic prokaryotic communities that include sulphur and ammonium‐metabolizing chemolithotrophs, methanogens, methanotrophs and methylotrophs. The cave als ...
- PubMed Central:
- Moreira, David, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Environmental microbiology 2007 v.9 no.2 pp. 546-554
- Ciliophora; Dinophyceae; carbonates; cities; ecosystems; food webs; fungi; nucleotide sequences; parasites; ribosomal DNA; surveys
- ... Lost City is a unique off-axis hydrothermal vent field characterized by highly alkaline and relatively low-temperature fluids that harbours huge carbonate chimneys. We have carried out a molecular survey based on 18S rDNA sequences of the eukaryotic communities associated with fluid-seawater interfaces and with carbonates from venting areas and the chimney wall. Our study reveals a variety of line ...