Jump to Main Content
- Niwa, Hidekazu, et al. Show all 8 Authors
- BMC veterinary research 2019 v.15 no.1 pp. 133
- Burkholderia mallei; Burkholderia pseudomallei; Burkholderia thailandensis; Gram-negative bacteria; agar; blood; fungi; glanders; horses; laboratory diagnosis; nasal cavity; selective media; zoonoses
- ... BACKGROUND: Burkholderia mallei is a Gram-negative bacterium that causes glanders, a zoonotic disease, especially in equine populations (e.g. horses, donkeys, and mules). B. mallei usually grows slowly on most culture media, and this property makes it difficult to isolate from clinical specimens. One of the problems is that B. mallei is easily overgrown by other bacteria, especially in animal spec ...
- Niwa, Hidekazu, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Journal of equine veterinary science 2014 v.34 no.2 pp. 333-336
- Pneumocystis carinii; Thoroughbred; antibiotics; collagen; colts; ferrets; foals; fungi; lungs; macrophages; necropsy; nucleotide sequences; phylogeny; pneumonia; polymerase chain reaction; racehorses; ribosomal RNA; silver; staining
- ... Pneumocystis pneumonia is an opportunistic respiratory infection that occurs in immunocompromised animals. In horses, pneumocystic pneumonia is observed mostly in foals and often progresses rapidly. Here, we report pneumocystic pneumonia in a Thoroughbred racehorse. A 3-year-old Thoroughbred racehorse colt had marked respiratory symptoms for 3 weeks and was unresponsive to antibiotic treatment. At ...
- Niwa, Hidekazu, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Veterinary ophthalmology 2011 v.14 no.4 pp. 267-270
- Mortierella; case studies; cattle; eyes; fillies; fungi; hyphae; medical treatment; microbial growth; opacity
- ... Purpose To describe a case of superficial keratomycosis caused by Mortierella wolfii (M. wolfii) in a horse. Methods A thoroughbred filly was presented with painful right eye of 2 days' duration. A superficial corneal ulcer was observed ventrally together with multifocal punctuate opacities axially. Samples were collected by swabbing and scraping the ulcerated lesion and submitted for microbiologi ...