Jump to Main Content
- Estell, Rick E., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Rangelands 2014 v.36 no.6 pp. 31
- forage; foraging; free range husbandry; global positioning systems; landscapes; livestock; stocking rate; vegetation
- ... Optimum forage utilization on animal-dominated landscapes can only occur when stocking rate (SR) and stocking density (SD) are considered and managed simultaneously. Landscapes with foraging animals contain vegetation ranging from unused to over-used even under a proper SR. The global navigation satellite system (GNSS) technology has catapulted our understanding of spatial–temporal management of f ...
- Estell, Rick E., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- The Rangeland journal 2012 v.34 pp. 149
- beef cows; calves; equipment; foraging; global positioning systems; landscape management; rangelands; temporal variation; walking; weaning
- ... Electronic tracking provides a unique way to document behaviour by cows on a continuous basis. Over 2 years 17 beef cows with calves were fitted with global positioning system (GPS) devices programmed to record uncorrected GPS locations at 1-s intervals in a semi-desert rangeland. Each cow was periodically observed during daylight hours and foraging, walking and stationary (standing/lying) activit ...