Jump to Main Content
- Stewart, Philip S., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Applied and environmental microbiology 2009 v.75 no.6 pp. 1750-1753
- biofilm; green fluorescent protein; immunoglobulin G; proteinases; solutes
- ... The diffusive penetration of fluorescently tagged macromolecular solutes into model oral biofilms was visualized by time-lapse microscopy. All of the solutes tested, including dextrans, proteases, green fluorescent protein, and immunoglobulin G, accessed the interior of cell clusters 100 to 200 μm in diameter within 3 min or less. ...
- Stewart, Philip S., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Journal of bacteriology 2012 v.194 no.8 pp. 2062-2073
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa; bacteria; biofilm; ciprofloxacin; environmental factors; essential genes; gene expression; green fluorescent protein; hypoxia; messenger RNA; microarray technology; propidium; ribosomal RNA; ribosomal proteins; ribosomes; stress response; tobramycin; transcriptome
- ... Bacteria growing in biofilms are physiologically heterogeneous, due in part to their adaptation to local environmental conditions. Here, we characterized the local transcriptome responses of Pseudomonas aeruginosa growing in biofilms by using a microarray analysis of isolated biofilm subpopulations. The results demonstrated that cells at the top of the biofilms had high mRNA abundances for genes i ...
- PubMed Central:
- Stewart, Philip S., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Applied and environmental microbiology 2008 v.74 no.14 pp. 4463-4471
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa; RNA-directed DNA polymerase; biofilm; environmental factors; fluorescence; gene expression; genes; green fluorescent protein; half life; lasers; messenger RNA; microscopy; polymerase chain reaction; quorum sensing; ribosomal RNA; ribosomes
- ... Gene expression in biofilms is dependent on bacterial responses to the local environmental conditions. Most techniques for studying bacterial gene expression in biofilms characterize average values across the entire population. Here, we describe the use of laser capture microdissection microscopy (LCMM) combined with multiplex quantitative real-time reverse transcriptase PCR (qRT-PCR) to isolate a ...