Jump to Main Content
- MULLENS, B. A., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Medical and veterinary entomology 2012 v.26 no.3 pp. 323-333
- Menacanthus stramineus; Ornithonyssus sylviarum; Pediculus humanus; cages; clay; diatomaceous earth; hens; kaolin; lice; louse control; mites; sand; sulfur
- ... Hen housing (cage or cage‐free) did not impact overall abundances of northern fowl mites, Ornithonyssus sylviarum (Canestrini & Fanzago) (Acari: Macronyssidae), or chicken body lice, Menacanthus stramineus (Nitzsch) (Phthiraptera: Menoponidae). Cage‐free hens received a dustbox with sand plus diatomaceous earth (DE), kaolin clay or sulphur. Weekly use varied from none to 100% of hens; 73% of hens ...
- Mullens, B A, et al. Show all 11 Authors
- Poultry science 2011 v.90 no.1 pp. 278
- animal welfare; bone fractures; bone strength; cages; cannibalism; disease control; egg production; feather pecking; feet; group size; hens; nutrition; osteoporosis; parasite load; parasites; pest control; poultry housing; production technology; soil
- ... Egg production systems have become subject to heightened levels of scrutiny. Multiple factors such as disease, skeletal and foot health, pest and parasite load, behavior, stress, affective states, nutrition, and genetics influence the level of welfare hens experience. Although the need to evaluate the influence of these factors on welfare is recognized, research is still in the early stages. We co ...