Jump to Main Content
- Pappa, Aglaia, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- The international journal of biochemistry & cell biology 2017 v.89 pp. 16-24
- Escherichia coli; aldehyde dehydrogenase; aldehydes; citrate (si)-synthase; cornea; cytotoxicity; epithelium; homeostasis; humans; hydrogen peroxide; oxidation; oxidative stress; recombinant proteins; thermal stress
- ... Aldehyde dehydrogenase 3A1 (ALDH3A1) is a metabolic enzyme that catalyzes the oxidation of various aldehydes. Certain types of epithelial tissues in mammals, especially those continually exposed to environmental stress (e.g., corneal epithelium), express ALDH3A1 at high levels and its abundance in such tissues is perceived to help to maintain cellular homeostasis under conditions of oxidative stre ...
- Pappa, Aglaia, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Toxicology 2017
- antioxidant activity; astrocytes; brain; cell death; disease course; electrons; energy; energy requirements; glycolysis; homeostasis; mitochondria; nervous system diseases; neurons; oligodendroglia; oxidative phosphorylation; pathogenesis
- ... Mitochondrial dysfunction is central to the pathogenesis of neurological disorders. Neurons rely on oxidative phosphorylation to meet their energy requirements and thus alterations in mitochondrial function are linked to energy failure and neuronal cell death. Furthermore, dysfunctional mitochondria are reported to increase the steady-state levels of reactive oxygen species derived from the leakag ...
- PubMed Central:
- Pappa, Aglaia, et al. Show all 9 Authors
- The international journal of biochemistry & cell biology 2016 v.77 pp. 120-128
- P-glycoproteins; adenocarcinoma; adhesion; aldehyde dehydrogenase; aldehydes; apoptosis; cell proliferation; complementary DNA; cyclins; doxorubicin; drug therapy; etoposide; fluorouracil; gamma radiation; gene expression regulation; gene overexpression; genes; homeostasis; humans; hydrogen peroxide; messenger RNA; metabolism; oxidative stress; phenotype; transcription factors
- ... Aldehyde dehydrogenases participate in a variety of cellular homeostatic mechanisms like metabolism, proliferation, differentiation, apoptosis, whereas recently, they have been implicated in normal and cancer cell stemness. We explored roles for ALDH3A1 in conferring resistance to chemotherapeutics/radiation/oxidative stress and whether ectopic overexpression of ALDH3A1 could lead to alterations o ...