Jump to Main Content
- Otis, Gard W., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Apidologie 2019 v.50 no.1 pp. 116-130
- Aethina tumida; Apis cerana; Apis mellifera; Tenebrionidae; adults; beeswax; bioassays; honey bees; worker bees; Vietnam
- ... Platybolium alvearium beetles occur in hives occupied by colonies of Apis cerana in Asia. We quantified beetle abundance in 180 A. cerana and 30 Apis mellifera hives and made behavioral observations in northern Vietnam. Although sometimes common, the beetles were uncommon in A. cerana hives (n = 180) during hive inspections in May/June 2015. In contrast, none were observed in A. mellifera hives. B ...
- OTIS, GARD W., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Ecological entomology 2007 v.32 no.5 pp. 496-505
- Apoidea; autumn; brood rearing; environmental degradation; environmental factors; honey bee colonies; honey bees; pollen; rearing; winter
- ... 1. Each autumn in northern regions, honeybee colonies shift from populations of short-lived workers that actively rear brood to broodless populations of long-lived winter bees. To determine if dwindling pollen resources trigger this transition, the natural disappearance of external pollen resources was artificially accelerated or delayed and colonies were monitored for effects on the decline in br ...