Jump to Main Content
- Maldonado-Gómez, María X., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 2014 v.62 no.1 pp. 159-166
- antioxidant activity; butyrates; cell walls; corn; corn bran; dialysis; digestive system; fermentation; heat; hot water treatment; in vitro digestion; ion exchange; short chain fatty acids; slurries; starch; temperature; wheat; wheat bran
- ... High-pressure hydrothermal treatment of cereal bran results in fragmentation of the cell wall, releasing soluble, non-digestible, feruloylated oligo- and polysaccharides (FOPS), which may be beneficial to gut health. The objectives of this study were to (1) determine treatment temperatures for production of FOPS from maize bran and wheat bran and (2) determine the fermentation properties of partia ...
- Maldonado-Gómez, María X., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Bioactive carbohydrates and dietary fibre 2013 v.2 no.1 pp. 8-14
- bacteria; butyrates; colon; dietary fiber; drugs; esterification; fermentation; in vitro digestion; inflammation; inflammatory bowel disease; intestinal microorganisms; inulin; polymers; short chain fatty acids
- ... Many carbohydrate polymers that have been used as carriers for colon-targeted drugs have shown benefits against colonic diseases. The objectives of this project were to (1) synthesize a derivative of 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA), a drug used to treat inflammatory bowel disease, containing inulin, a carbohydrate polymer that has shown benefits against inflammatory bowel disease; (2) quantify the r ...