Jump to Main Content
- Lung’aho, Mercy, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Nutrients 2017 v.9 no.7
- Phaseolus vulgaris; beans; bioassays; bioavailability; biofortification; diet; farmers; foods; human cell lines; iron; iron absorption; potatoes; rice; Rwanda
- ... This paper represents a series of in vitro iron (Fe) bioavailability experiments, Fe content analysis and polyphenolic profile of the first generation of Fe biofortified beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) selected for human trials in Rwanda and released to farmers of that region. The objective of the present study was to demonstrate how the Caco-2 cell bioassay for Fe bioavailability can be utilized to as ...
- Lung'aho, Mercy G., et al. Show all 2 Author
- bioavailability; cassava; complementary foods; developing countries; diet; ferritin; human cell lines; humans; in vitro digestion; in vitro studies; infants; intestines; iron; iron deficiency anemia; models; nutrient deficiencies; recipes
- ... Iron-deficiency anemia is by far the most widespread micronutrient deficiency disease in the world, affecting more than 2 billion people. Although there are multiple causes of anemia, its high prevalence among children—especially in developing countries such as Kenya—is attributed to an inadequate intake of dietary iron. The main objective of this study was to assess the amount of bioavailable iro ...
- Lung'aho, Mercy G., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Zea mays; anemia; bioassays; bioavailability; biofortification; breeding methods; corn; genes; genomics; heritability; iron; loci; nutrient deficiencies; phenotype; phytic acid; plant breeding; poverty; quantitative trait loci; seeds; spectroscopy; variance; New York
- ... Maize is a major cereal crop widely consumed in developing countries, which have a high prevalence of iron (Fe) deficiency anemia. The major cause of Fe deficiency in these countries is inadequate intake of bioavailable Fe, where poverty is a major factor. Therefore, biofortification of maize by increasing Fe concentration and or bioavailability has great potential to alleviate this deficiency. Ma ...
- PubMed Central: