Jump to Main Content
- Martins, Nathan Dias, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Toxicon 2017
- Brycon amazonicus; Cyanobacteria; antioxidant activity; antioxidants; cell death; cytoskeleton; fish; gills; humans; liver; microcystin-LR; oxidation; oxidative stress; superoxide dismutase; surface water; toxicity
- ... Microcystin's (MCs) are toxins produced by several groups of cyanobacteria, in water bodies throughout the world, in a process which is being intensified by human action. Among the variants of MCs, MC-LR stands out for its distribution and toxicity. MCs are potent inhibitors of protein phosphatases 1 and 2 A, which causes disruption of the cytoskeleton and consequent cell death. They can also alte ...
- Martins, Nathan Dias, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Chemosphere 2011 v.84 no.1 pp. 154-159
- Oreochromis niloticus; fish; gills; heart rate; hypoxia; intraperitoneal injection; microcystin-LR; tidal volume
- ... The effects of microcystin on the cardio-respiratory function of Nile tilapia were analyzed 48h after intraperitoneal injection of microcystin-LR (MC-LR – 100μgkg⁻¹body weight). Exposure to MC-LR induced significant reduction in metabolic rate (V˙O₂) and increase in the critical O₂ tension (PCO₂) in relation to the control group. Gill ventilation (V˙G) and ventilatory tidal volume (VT) were consid ...