Jump to Main Content
- Zielinski, D.P.; Voller, VR.; Sorensen, P.W.
- Ecological modelling 2018 v.382 pp. 18-32
- Acipenser fulvescens; Hypophthalmichthys molitrix; Hypophthalmichthys nobilis; carp; dams (hydrology); ecology; fish ladders; indigenous species; invasive species; mathematical models; migratory behavior; spillways; swimming; turbulent flow; Mississippi River; Wisconsin
- ... The ability of fish to swim upstream through regions of swiftly flowing water is ultimately dependent on their physiological capacity. Swimming performance, the relationship between swim speed and time-to-fatigue, has been used to design fishways and identify barriers to fish movement. However, existing numerical models do not all capture the variability in swimming abilities nor the turbulent, un ...
- Amaral, Stephen V.; Coleman, Benjamin S.; Rackovan, Jenna L.; Withers, Kelly; Mater, Benjamin
- Marine & freshwater research 2018 v.69 no.12 pp. 1870-1881
- dams (hydrology); fish; fish communities; fluid mechanics; habitats; migratory behavior; probability; spillways; survival rate; water power; Mississippi River; United States
- ... Hydropower dams can negatively affect upstream and downstream migratory fish populations in many ways, such as blocking access to upstream habitats and causing injuries or mortality during downstream passage. For downstream passage at projects in the USA, federal regulators and agencies responsible for oversight of hydropower facilities typically require assessment studies and mitigation to addres ...