Jump to Main Content
- Martorell, Reynaldo; Ascencio, Melany; Tacsan, Luis; Alfaro, Thelma; Young, Melissa F; Addo, O Yaw; Dary, Omar; Flores-Ayala, Rafael
- TheAmerican journal of clinical nutrition 2015 v.101 no.1 pp. 210-217
- food fortification, etc ; Estimated Average Requirement; children; clinical nutrition; corn flour; dried milk; fortified foods; hemoglobin; iron; iron deficiency anemia; milk; monitoring; national surveys; nutrient deficiencies; program evaluation; wheat flour; women; Costa Rica; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... Background: Food fortification is one approach for addressing anemia, but information on program effectiveness is limited.Objective: We evaluated the impact of Costa Rica's fortification program on anemia in women aged 15–45 y and children aged 1–7 y.Design: Reduced iron, an ineffective fortificant, was replaced by ferrous fumarate in wheat flour in 2002, and ferrous bisglycinate was added to maiz ...
- PubMed Central:
- Allen, Lindsay H.
- Nutrition reviews 2009 v.67 no.5 pp. S21
- food fortification, etc ; public health; nutrients; international organizations; international policy and programs; human nutrition; nutrition assessment; nutritional status; cost analysis; nutrient deficiencies; deficiency diseases; etiology; disease prevalence; analytical kits; nutrient reserves; nutrient intake; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... Assessment of micronutrient status is a major concern in public health nutrition, yet there are serious limitations to the indicators currently available. This paper presents the merits of these indicators along with their drawbacks, which include cost, lack of congruence between cutoffs denoting deficiency and adverse functional consequences, and inconsistent methods of evaluating the confounding ...
- Tako, E.; Rutzke, M.A.; Glahn, R.P.
- Poultry science 2010 v.89 no.3 pp. 514
- food fortification, etc ; broiler chickens; broiler feeding; in vivo studies; iron; dietary minerals; nutrient availability; fortified foods; animal models; hemoglobin; duodenum; methodology; feed intake; body weight; blood chemistry; ascorbic acid; mass spectrometry; transport proteins; enterocytes; brush border membrane vesicles; cytochrome b; oxidoreductases; nutrient deficiencies; Show all 23 Subjects
- ... Iron fortification of foods and biofortification of staple food crops are strategies that can help to alleviate Fe deficiency. The broiler chicken may be a useful model for initial in vivo screening of Fe bioavailability in foods due to its growth rate, anatomy, size, and low cost. In this study, we assess the broiler as a model for hemoglobin (Hb) maintenance studies and present a unique duodenal ...