Jump to Main Content
- Weller, R.F., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Grass and forage science 2001 v.56 no.1 pp. 92-95
- dairy cows; range management; Trifolium repens; Lolium perenne; botanical composition; crude protein; seasonal variation; sward; organic production; Wales
- ... Changes in the crude protein (CP) concentration of white clover and perennial ryegrass herbage from a mixed sward were determined on six sampling dates from May to October in each of 2 years. The swards were grown without fertilizer N in an organic farming system and continuously grazed by dairy cows during the grazing season. The annual mean contents of white clover in the dry matter (DM) of the ...
- Weller, R.F., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Animal 2010 v.4 no.2 pp. 259-271
- dairy cows; cow feeding; cattle diseases; animal behavior; animal well-being; animal reproduction; disease prevention; animal stress; therapeutics; dairy farm management; animal housing; dairy herd management; animal breeding; organic production; stress tolerance
- ... This review provides an assessment of research findings into the current practices and standards and the principles and aspirations for organic dairy production, with respect to the health and welfare of the dairy cow. The relationships between the four main factors: management, environment, genetics and nutrition and their impact on the health and welfare status of organic dairy cows are consider ...
- Weller, R.F., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Biological agriculture & horticulture 2004 v.22 no.3 pp. 217-249
- animal nutrition; environmental sustainability; farm income; farms; forage production; grasslands; issues and policy; labor; land use; milk quality; milk yield; nutrient balance; organic production; production technology; stocking rate
- ... Organic farming aims to create an integrated, humane, environmentally and economically sustainable agricultural system. For organic dairy systems, the fulfilment of these aims requires the understanding and integration of a number of systems components including land use (mixed or dairy only) and stocking rate; grassland and forage production, including quantity and quality; potential milk yield a ...