Jump to Main Content
- Hague, Steve S.; Smith, C. Wayne; Berger, Greg; Clement, Jenny; Jones, Don C.
- Journal of cotton science 2011 v.15 no.3 pp. 265-270
- Gossypium hirsutum; breeding programs; breeding value; cotton; cultivars; fiber quality; genotype; germplasm; heritability; heterosis; highlands; lint yield; pedigree; penetrance; plant height; plant morphology; transgressive segregation; Texas
- ... Development of extra-long staple (ELS) cotton germplasm represented a substantial improvement in upland fiber quality. The objective of this study was to determine the breeding value of an ELS breeding line when crossed to a genotype with average fiber quality. Breeders need to understand how ELS material should be used in a pedigree breeding program to realize the full benefits of the germplasm. ...
- Zhu, Wei; Liu, Kui; Wang, Xue-De
- Euphytica 2008 v.164 no.1 pp. 283-291
- heterosis; plant growth; hybrids; lint cotton; Gossypium hirsutum; leaf area index; fiber quality; crop yield; agronomic traits; photosynthesis; plant morphology; leaves
- ... Leaf shape is an important factor affecting canopy structure, photosynthetic characteristics, and yield. Introducing okra leaf shape is considered an important strategy in cotton heterosis breeding. The objective of the study was to evaluate the heterosis in okra leaf cotton hybrid F₁s, which were developed by crossing two sterile near isolines and three restorer near isolines. A normal leaf check ...