Jump to Main Content
- Tondiglia, Vincent P., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2013 v.110 no.47 pp. 18792-18797
- composite materials; irradiation; liquid crystals; mechanical properties; mixers; models; polymers
- ... Photomechanical effects in polymeric materials and composites transduce light into mechanical work. The ability to control the intensity, polarization, placement, and duration of light irradiation is a distinctive and potentially useful tool to tailor the location, magnitude, and directionality of photogenerated mechanical work. Unfortunately, the work generated from photoresponsive materials is o ...
- PubMed Central:
- Tondiglia, Vincent P., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- ACS applied materials 2016 v.8 no.41 pp. 28040-28046
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; batteries; electric power; energy use and consumption; industry; liquid crystals; mechanical properties; polymerization; polymers; ultraviolet radiation
- ... Liquid crystal monomers are widely employed in industry to prepare optical compensating films as well as extend or enhance the properties of certain display modes. Because of the thermotropic nature of liquid crystalline materials, polymerization of liquid crystalline monomers (sometimes referred to as reactive mesogens) is often initiated by radical photoinitiation (photopolymerization) of (meth) ...
- Tondiglia, Vincent P., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Journal of polymer science 2018 v.56 no.15 pp. 1087-1093
- crosslinking; deformation; electric field; liquid crystals; optical isomerism; polymerization; polymers; wavelengths
- ... Polymerization of crosslinkable liquid crystal monomers in chiral liquid crystalline media stabilizes the phase and enables distinct electro‐optic properties relative to small‐molecule analogs. Particularly interesting are cases where the polymerization forms a crosslinked polymer network that maintains a “structural” chirality. Recent reports have employed this methodology to realize a diverse se ...