Jump to Main Content
- Hindell, M. A., et al. Show all 12 Authors
- Ecography 2018 v.41 no.6 pp. 996-1012
- Euphausia superba; acoustics; ecosystems; foraging; krill; model validation; planning; predator-prey relationships; predators; prediction; prey species; remote sensing; satellites; solar radiation; statistical models; summer; surveys; swarms; time series analysis; Antarctic region; Antarctica
- ... Open ocean predator‐prey interactions are often difficult to interpret because of a lack of information on prey fields at scales relevant to predator behaviour. Hence, there is strong interest in identifying the biological and physical factors influencing the distribution and abundance of prey species, which may be of broad predictive use for conservation planning and evaluating effects of environ ...
- Hindell, M., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Ecological indicators 2016 v.70 pp. 531-544
- Aptenodytes patagonicus; Arctocephalus; Eudyptes chrysolophus; Markov chain; conservation areas; foraging; habitats; predators; prediction; satellites; seals; summer; telemetry; uncertainty; Antarctic region
- ... Satellite telemetry data was used to predict at sea spatial usage of five top order and meso-predators; Antarctic fur seals (Arctocephalus gazella), macaroni penguins (Eudyptes chrysolophus), king penguins (Aptenodytes patagonicus), black browed albatross (Diomedea melanophrys), and light mantled albatross (Phoebetria palpebrata). All were tagged at Heard Island in the Southern Ocean over a single ...
- Hindell, M., et al. Show all 21 Authors
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2007 v.104 no.34 pp. 13705-13710
- Mirounga; body condition; climate; ice; physiological response; predators; salinity; seals; temperature; Antarctic region
- ... Responses by marine top predators to environmental variability have previously been almost impossible to observe directly. By using animal-mounted instruments simultaneously recording movements, diving behavior, and in situ oceanographic properties, we studied the behavioral and physiological responses of southern elephant seals to spatial environmental variability throughout their circumpolar ran ...
- PubMed Central: