Jump to Main Content
- Niwa, Hidekazu, et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Journal of equine veterinary science 2018 v.63 pp. 80-85.e2
- Streptococcus equi subsp. zooepidemicus; Thoroughbred; adults; bacterial infections; drugs; genetic variation; genotype; minimum inhibitory concentration; minocycline; multilocus sequence typing; pathogens; racehorses; resistance genes; respiratory tract diseases; Japan
- ... Streptococcus zooepidemicus is a dominant pneumococcal pathogen in adult horses and comprises a wide diversity of strain genotypes. Minocycline has been used as a second-line drug for lower respiratory bacterial infection in the facilities of Japan Racing Association. The aim of this study was to reveal the relationship between genotypes of equine S. zooepidemicus and tetracycline resistance genes ...
- Niwa, Hidekazu, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Journal of equine veterinary science 2014 v.34 no.2 pp. 333-336
- Pneumocystis carinii; Thoroughbred; antibiotics; collagen; colts; ferrets; foals; fungi; lungs; macrophages; necropsy; nucleotide sequences; phylogeny; pneumonia; polymerase chain reaction; racehorses; ribosomal RNA; silver; staining
- ... Pneumocystis pneumonia is an opportunistic respiratory infection that occurs in immunocompromised animals. In horses, pneumocystic pneumonia is observed mostly in foals and often progresses rapidly. Here, we report pneumocystic pneumonia in a Thoroughbred racehorse. A 3-year-old Thoroughbred racehorse colt had marked respiratory symptoms for 3 weeks and was unresponsive to antibiotic treatment. At ...