Jump to Main Content
- Reeves, Justin L., et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2014 v.183 pp. 110
- C3 plants; Hereford; Poa pratensis; atmospheric precipitation; autumn; beef cattle; cattle production; climate; climate change; data analysis; data collection; ecological invasion; grasslands; grazing; growing season; models; pastures; plant communities; rangelands; seasonal variation; spring; steers; stocking rate; summer; temperature; weight gain; wet environmental conditions; winter; yearlings; Great Plains region; North Dakota
- ... In the face of an increasingly variable climate, long-term cattle weight gain datasets are rare, yet invaluable, for determining site-specific influences of seasonal weather patterns on cattle production. Here, we present a long-term (1936–2005) yearling Hereford steer dataset collected at the Northern Great Plains Research Laboratory (NPGRL) near Mandan, ND, USA. Data were analyzed using weighted ...
- Reeves, Justin L., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Rangelands 2015 v.37 no.3 pp. 119-124
- air temperature; autumn; beef cattle; climate; cow-calf operations; data collection; decision making; forage; forage production; grazing; growing season; models; rain; ranchers; rangelands; seasonal variation; snow; spring; stocking rate; summer; winter; yearlings; Great Plains region; Montana; North Dakota; Wyoming
- ... Ranching is a challenging and sometimes risky business, with cattle production (and associated enterprise income) largely being dependent on seasonal weather patterns and corresponding forage production. To help reduce this risk, the USDA–Agricultural Research Service performed a multistate study of seasonal weather effects on cattle production across the Northern Great Plains (Wyoming, North Dako ...