Jump to Main Content
- Costa, Edna S.; França, Carolina N.; Fonseca, Francisco A. H.; Kato, Juliana T.; Bianco, Henrique T.; Freitas, Thiago T.; Fonseca, Henrique A. R.; Figueiredo Neto, Antonio Martins; Izar, Maria Cristina
- The British journal of nutrition 2019 v.121 no.12 pp. 1365-1375
- amylases; bananas; biomass; blood glucose; body composition; body mass index; body weight; diastolic blood pressure; fasting; food intake; gastric emptying; glucose; high density lipoprotein cholesterol; hip circumference; homeostasis; hydrolysis; insulin resistance; models; noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus; nutritional support; patients; randomized clinical trials; resistant starch; risk; waist circumference
- ... Diabetes mellitus is a global epidemic, characterised as a heterogeneous group of metabolic disorders associated with high risk of CVD. Green banana biomass, which is composed of resistant starches (RS) and cannot be hydrolysed by amylases, delays gastric emptying and modulates insulin sensitivity, thus contributing to improve metabolic disorders. The aim of the present study was to investigate th ...
- Goff, H. Douglas; Repin, Nikolay; Fabek, Hrvoje; El Khoury, Dalia; Gidley, Michael J.
- Bioactive carbohydrates and dietary fibre 2018 v.14 pp. 39-53
- absorption; acidification; amylases; blood glucose; chemical structure; dietary fiber; digestion; food industry; functional foods; gastric emptying; gastrointestinal system; gelation; glucose; glucose tolerance; human nutrition; hydrolysis; insulin; microvilli; mucosa; nutritional intervention; plant gums; risk; starch; viscosity
- ... One of the many functional benefits of dietary fibre when present in the human diet is its ability to reduce the rate of absorption of glucose after consumption of high glycaemic carbohydrate-containing foods, leading to a blunted blood glucose response curve and less demand for insulin. Glycaemia control through dietary intervention is of significant importance to those at high risk for Type 2 Di ...