Jump to Main Content
- Chen, You-Peng, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Applied biochemistry and biotechnology 2013 v.169 no.2 pp. 526-538
- DNA; biofilm; carbohydrates; heat treatment; humic substances; nitrites; nitrogen; proteins; resins; sludge
- ... Extracellular polymeric substances (EPS) were extracted from sludge and biofilm via the completely autotrophic nitrogen removal over nitrite (CANON) system. Tightly bound (TB)-EPS were extracted using four physical methods, namely, cationic exchange resin (CER), sonication, heating, and steaming. CER was the most effective and most suitable method for extraction among the four methods. Moreover, t ...
- Chen, You-Peng, et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Bioresource technology 2015 v.190 pp. 21-28
- biochemical pathways; biofilm; catalytic activity; cell adhesion; denitrification; microbial communities; physicochemical properties; polysaccharides; proteins; proteomics; sludge
- ... Biofilm and suspended sludge (S-sludge) floc exhibit distinct physicochemical properties and process performances in an integrated fixed-film and suspended growth sequencing batch reactor. However, the mechanisms of governing these differences between the two aggregates were unknown. Current work evaluated the diversity of morphologies, microbial communities, extracellular proteins and polysacchar ...
- Chen, You-Peng, et al. Show all 13 Authors
- Chemosphere 2014 v.117 pp. 59-65
- Raman spectroscopy; adhesion; adverse effects; biofilm; cell aggregates; hydrophobicity; sludge; zeta potential
- ... The adhesion and aggregation properties of microbial cell are closely related to extracellular polymeric substances (EPS). In this work, the composition and physicochemical characteristics of EPS in biofilm and suspended sludge (S-sludge) were determined to evaluate their roles in microbial cell aggregation. Raman spectroscopy and three-dimensional fluorescence spectra have been employed to reveal ...