Jump to Main Content
- Milchunas, Daniel G., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Journal of vegetation science 2005 v.16 no.1 pp. 85-92
- Opuntia polyacantha; cacti and succulents; cattle; cladodes; flowering; grazing; grazing intensity; herbivores; landscapes; models; pastures; plant communities; steppes; Great Plains region; North America
- ... Question: Which factors influence the effectiveness of biotic refuges for harbouring grazing-sensitive species in pastures with a long history of grazing by large herbivores? Previous research showed that spiny clumps of the cactus Opuntia polyacantha provided refuges from cattle grazing for plants and for inflorescence production on short-grass steppe. In this paper, seven factors that may have a ...
- Milchunas, Daniel G., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Ecological applications 2005 v.15 no.2 pp. 774-792
- steppes; community ecology; plant ecology; grazing; precipitation; botanical composition; herbivores; arid zones; semiarid zones; grasses; species diversity; primary productivity; Argentina; Washington
- ... Plant functional traits provide one tool for predicting the effects of grazing on different ecosystems. To test this approach, we compared plant traits and grazing response across analogous climatic gradients in sagebrush steppe, USA (SGBR), known to have a short evolutionary history of grazing, and Patagonian steppe, Argentina (PAT), where generalist herbivores exerted stronger selective pressure ...