Jump to Main Content
- Zahawi, Rakan A., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Ecological applications 2015 v.25 no.4 pp. 1072-1082
- abandoned land; community structure; deforestation; forest regeneration; forest restoration; landscapes; pioneer species; plantations; planting; seed dispersal; seeds; shrubs; species diversity; trees; tropical forests; Costa Rica
- ... Past studies have shown that tropical forest regeneration on degraded farmlands is initially limited by lack of seed dispersal, but few studies have tracked changes in abundance and composition of seed rain past the first few years after land abandonment. We measured seed rain for 12 months in 10 6–9‐year‐old restoration sites and five mature, reference forests in southern Costa Rica in order to l ...
- Zahawi, Rakan A., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Applied vegetation science 2016 v.19 no.3 pp. 508-517
- plantations; community development; ions; islands; seeds; landscapes; pastures; tropical forests; epiphytes; secondary forests; trees; deforestation; species diversity; ferns and fern allies; forest restoration; natural regeneration; planting; Angiospermae; Costa Rica
- ... QUESTIONS: Vascular epiphytes constitute a large proportion of tropical forest plant biodiversity, but are among the slowest plants to recolonize secondary forests. We asked whether tree planting for ecological restoration accelerates epiphyte community recovery. Does the spatial configuration of tree planting matter? What landscape contexts are most suitable for epiphyte restoration? LOCATION: Re ...