Jump to Main Content
- Gastauer, Markus, et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Journal of environmental management 2018 v.227 pp. 386-394
- manganese; chemical composition; functional diversity; plant development; soil toxicity; seedlings; natural regeneration; phylogeny; plant taxonomy; species richness; trees; topsoil; biomass production; ecosystems; stand basal area
- ... Rehabilitation of tailing dams poses important challenges because sterile materials and poor or even toxic soils hinder plant development and the regeneration of the pre-mining-activity biota. In this study, we analyzed the effectiveness of rehabilitating a 14-year-old manganese tailing dam by comparing three different regeneration treatments (topsoil application, seedling plantation and spontaneo ...
- Gastauer, Markus, et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Agroforestry systems 2015 v.89 no.2 pp. 279-289
- crop production; invasive species; intercropping; shade tolerance; agroforestry; ecological invasion; introduced species; phylogeny; Coffea arabica; trees; shade; ecosystems; biodiversity; risk reduction; habitats; understory; Brazil
- ... Prevention is the most effective way of mitigating the negative impacts of exotic species invasions on biodiversity. Preventative measures include inhibiting the further dispersal and recruitment of established invasive species. We expect coffee production in agroforestry systems to reduce the recruitment of exotic species relative to monoculture stands because intercropped trees function as envir ...