Jump to Main Content
- Wang, Wen J.; He, Hong S.; Spetich, Martin A.; Shifley, Stephen R.; Thompson III, Frank R.; Fraser, Jacob S.; Bond-Lamberty, Ben
- hardwood forests, etc ; Quercus; biomass; clearcutting; decline; forest succession; landscapes; logging; long term effects; models; risk; species diversity; stand composition; stand structure; tree mortality; trees; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... Oak decline is a process induced by complex interactions of predisposing factors, inciting factors, and contributing factors operating at tree, stand, and landscape scales. It has greatly altered species composition and stand structure in affected areas. Thinning, clearcutting, and group selection are widely adopted harvest alternatives for reducing forest vulnerability to oak decline by removing ...
- PubMed Central:
- Porté, Annabel J; Lamarque, Laurent J; Lortie, Christopher J; Michalet, Richard; Delzon, Sylvain
- BMC ecology 2011 v.11 no.1 pp. 190
- hardwood forests, etc ; Acer negundo; greenhouse experimentation; indigenous species; invasive species; leaf area; leaves; nitrogen content; nutrient availability; phenotypic plasticity; photosynthesis; riparian forests; seedlings; trees; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... BACKGROUND: To identify the determinants of invasiveness, comparisons of traits of invasive and native species are commonly performed. Invasiveness is generally linked to higher values of reproductive, physiological and growth-related traits of the invasives relative to the natives in the introduced range. Phenotypic plasticity of these traits has also been cited to increase the success of invasiv ...
- PubMed Central:
- Dimov, Luben D.; Chambers, Jim L.; Lockhart, Brian Roy
- Forest ecology and management 2008 v.255 no.7 pp. 2790
- hardwood forests, etc ; tree growth; basal area; tree and stand measurements; Quercus; plant competition; vigor; lowland forests; trees; spatial distribution; forest stands; age structure; light; tree crown; overstory; models; prediction; statistical analysis; Southeastern United States; Show all 19 Subjects
- ... We studied the relationships among 5-year radial (diameter and basal area) growth of red oak (genus Quercus, subgenus Erythrobalanus) crop trees and predictor variables representing individual tree vigor, distance-dependant competition measures, and distance-independent competition measures. The red oaks we examined are representative of the commercially and ecologically important oak species of t ...