Jump to Main Content
- Pirolla, Renan Augusto Siqueira, et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Journal of molecular biology 2019 v.431 no.4 pp. 732-747
- Bacteroidetes; Bifidobacterium; active sites; bees; beta-mannosidase; carbohydrates; depolymerization; digestive system; ecosystems; hosts; humans; intestinal microorganisms; moieties; nutrition; probiotics; rabbits; swine; symbionts; tryptophan
- ... Bifidobacteria represent one of the first colonizers of human gut microbiota, providing to this ecosystem better health and nutrition. To maintain a mutualistic relationship, they have enzymes to degrade and use complex carbohydrates non-digestible by their hosts. To succeed in the densely populated gut environment, they evolved molecular strategies that remain poorly understood. Herein, we report ...
- Pirolla, Renan Augusto Siqueira, et al. Show all 14 Authors
- Industrial biotechnology 2016 v.12 no.1 pp. 40-57
- bioethanol; biomass; biotechnology; carbon; carbon dioxide; corn starch; energy; ethanol; gasoline; greenhouse gas emissions; lignocellulose; liquids; operating costs; petroleum; sugarcane; sugars; Brazil; United States
- ... Bioethanol is currently one of the most important sources of renewable fuel and has the potential to partially replace petroleum-based liquid fuels. The United States is the largest ethanol producer in the world, with an average production of 54 billion liters per year. Most of its production derives from cornstarch. The Carbon Intensity Index (CI) for cornstarch-derived ethanol—75.97 g of carbon ...