Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: jiali?
- Li, Jiale, et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Proceedings 2012 v.279 no.1730 pp. 1000-1007
- aragonite; bioactive properties; calcium carbonate; crystals; genes; oysters; proteins
- ... To study the function of pearl oyster matrix proteins in nacreous layer biomineralization in vivo, we examined the deposition on pearl nuclei and the expression of matrix protein genes in the pearl sac during the early stage of pearl formation. We found that the process of pearl formation involves two consecutive stages: (i) irregular calcium carbonate (CaCO3) deposition on the bare nucleus and (i ...
- PubMed Central:
- Li, Jiale, et al. Show all 14 Authors
- Developmental and Comparative Immunology 2011 v.35 no.5 pp. 568
- Edwardsiella ictaluri; Flavobacterium columnare; Ictalurus punctatus; carbohydrate binding; catfish; chromosome mapping; chromosomes; complement; gene expression; gills; immune response; invertebrates; lectins; leukocytes; liver; multigene family; muscles; pathogens; phylogeny; receptors; skin (animal); spleen
- ... The lectin pathway of the complement system is characterized by two groups of soluble pattern recognition molecules, mannose-binding lectins (MBLs) and ficolins. These molecules recognize and bind carbohydrates in pathogens and activate complement leading to opsonization, leukocyte activation, and direct pathogen killing. While MBLs have been reported in many fish species, ficolins do not appear t ...